Saturday 18 April 2015

Interview on Shepherds Way Community Radio - 11 March 2015



In January 2015, I appeared on the local Community Radio Station Shepherds Way FM. I talked about what I had been getting up to, The Sundabans Oil Spill and agreed that I would come back in March 2015 and talk about my trip to Bangladesh in February.

My trip to Bangladesh in February 2015 was to be involved in the surveying of the very rare Spoon-billed Sandpiper bird. It was estimated that there were only 200 of these birds left in the wild with many of them wintering in Bangladesh over the winter.

I was also giving a talk in Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh, about my birding and highlighting the issues for the Spoon-billed Sandpiper. Once of the problems it faces is that there is talk of building a deep sea port around the island where the birds winter, Sonadia Island. This has not yet been ruled out and I wanted people to understand the danger of this to the Spoon-billed Sandpiper.

A Young Birders interview on local radio


I was interviewed by Shepherds Way Radio again on 11th March 2015 and I talked about how my trip went, which was really well. Despite political unrest, my talk was very well attended with birders and non birders alike. I was also able to talk about the cover that my trip received in the national newspapers and television.


Young Birder Birdgirl Mya-Rose Craig with Steve Shepherd, Shepherds Way Radio
Photograph taken by and copyright Helena Craig


I loved doing my interview Shepherds Way Radio, talking about my Bangladesh trip, the Spoon-billed Sandpiper, the Sundarbans oil spill and being Ambassador for World Shorebirds Day. 

You can listen to the interview on http://bit.ly/1EARA8l on the 18.00 programme, 16 minutes in. I think you can also still listen from Bangladesh.


About the writer



Young Birder Birdgirl Mya-Rose Craig on Scilly
Photograph taken by and copyright Chris Craig




Mya-Rose Craig is a 12 year old young birder, conservationist, writer and speaker. She is based near Bristol and writes the successful Birdgirl Blog, with posts about birding and conservation from around the world. She was the youngest person to see 3,000 birds in 2013 and she hopes to see her 4,000th bird in Antarctica, her 7th continent, in 2015. She has recently been listed with the singer songwriter George Ezra and actress Maisie Williams from Game of Thrones as one of Bristol's most influential young people. Please like her Birdgirl Facebook Page and follow her on Birdgirl Twitter



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting a comment. Please can you make sure that it is positive and is about me or my blog and not about promoting you or your business. Thanks. Mya-Rose Craig