Sunday 15 March 2015

My South American Wader Quest Part 3


Spoon-billed Sandpiper, Sonadia Island, Bangladesh
Photograph copyright Bangladesh Spoon-billed Sandpiper Conservation Project


I have a real connection and love of waders. They are my dad, Chris Craig’s favourite bird groups and through years of watching and studying them, he is amazing at identifying them. That love for waders has rubbed off on me.

So, as well as being a young birder, young conservationist, young speaker and young writer, I am also Ambassador for World Shorebirds Day so that I can help save waders.

In October 2014, I also wrote a 3 part guest blog for Wader Quest called “Birdgirl’s South American Wader Quest”.


Peruvian Thick-knee, Peru
Photograph taken by and copyright Alejandro Tello

The next part of our journey was a 9 week trip to Peru. That was going to be really amazing. Early in the trip, we birded the Santa Eulalia Canyon in Central Peru, not far from Lima. We headed off East from Lima in our “hippy van”, which I loved. We spent two days birding up the canyon seeing a whole load of endemic birds, before arriving at Ticlio Bog which was at 4,900 metres. 

Here we saw the endemic White bellied Cinclodes and Junin Canastero. Here we looked for the Diademed Sandpiper-Plover. After searching for it for all those hours in Bolivia, were we going to see it here? If so, it would be a good contender for my most magical wader.

Find out which was my most magical wader in South America in Birdgirl’s South American Wader Quest Part 3 http://bit.ly/18sRZfd

About the writer


Young Birder Birdgirl Mya-Rose Craig on Scilly
Photograph taken by Chris Craig


Mya-Rose Craig is a 12 year old young birder, conservationist, writer and speaker. She is based near Bristol and writes the successful Birdgirl Blog, with posts about birding and conservation from around the world. She was the youngest person to see 3,000 birds in 2013 and she hopes to see her 4,000th bird in Antarctica, her 7th continent, in 2015. Please like her Birdgirl Facebook Page and follow her on Birdgirl Twitter
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting a comment. Please can you make sure that it is positive and is about me or my blog and not about promoting you or your business. Thanks. Mya-Rose Craig